Monday, June 8, 2009

Appreciate Each Moment

This morning has been pretty crazy. I got a call from David, who heard through the grapevine that there were several sherrif's cars at my neighbor's house. My neighbor, Larry, was an elderly man who lost his wife several months back. They were from out of state and only lived in Alabama for a couple of years. I called Larry's cell phone and one of the officers answered and informed me that Larry passed away. I asked about Larry's dogs and told them I would come home and take the dogs to my house. Larry and Linda never had children, instead, they had border collies. Allie and Jesse were their babies. I think they were actually the puppies of the previous dogs they owned. The police were having a hard time locating the next of kin, so I'm hanging on to the dogs until they do, at which time, I will either give the dogs to the relatives, or I will need to find homes for them. I already have three dogs. I really can't do two more. I can't say that I'm surprised he is gone. He hasn't done well since his wife got sick and after she passed, his health deteriorated a lot more. He will be missed. He was an incredibly nice man and always had a smile and a wave as we passed. We got to talk a few times over coffee or a coke and I enjoyed our conversations.
I am sad for his family's loss, but more so, I am reminded that our time on this earth is fleeting. Every second we breathe is a precious gift from God. It can't be re-lived. Our life is not a dress rehearsal. This is the real deal. Have you told your family and friends that you love them? I don't get to tell mine nearly enough how much I value them and love them from the very depth of my heart. Please keep the family of Larry Cascino in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: