Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tornado Remembrance

Tuscaloosa isn't really in the news anymore - but the recovery effort is still underway.  The videos below were taken by David while Ashlyn and I were tucked away safe and sound.  We had NO IDEA on our end of town the devastation that was taking place less than 15 minutes away.  I thank God daily as I pass by the wreckage - because you can't get anywhere in town without passing destruction - that we were protected.
For obvious reasons - I didn't take a lot of pictures of the destruction.  For one - that is time that can be spent helping instead of snapping pictures, two-the people that belong to these buildings are in the middle of all this clearing the debris and trying to salvage what little they can, three - these images can't ever be unseen.  They are forever seared in my memory.  I don't need a picture to remind me of the overwhelming, sinking feeling that came over us when we realized that 1/7th of our city was wiped clear.  These are pictures of the Central Church of Christ and the neighborhood that surrounded it.  The worst part of looking at this was the fact that you knew something used to stand there, but you couldn't tell what it was anymore.  It made me feel lost and it was scary.  I can't imagine the way it felt to come out of your "safe" place and see this.



I can't begin to say how proud of my husband that I am.  They didn't hesitate to help.  They donated so much time and food to feed the disaster response workers and those who had lost their homes.

April 27, 2011 is a day that will forever be in our hearts all over this state.  Tuscaloosa and her residents still needs a whole lot of prayers!

No comments: