Friday, April 27, 2012

Today

Today, April 27th, marks the one year anniversary of a tragedy that struck the community of which I'm a part.  We didn't experience any damage to our home.  We were only out of power for about a half a day.  David's businesses experienced loss, but it was minor in comparison to those around us.  I still get teary eyed when I think about that day and the days following.  I've never seen such widespread destruction with my own eyes.  My heart still fills with pride in my community for the way we banded together.  Some got out in the trenches and literally dug people out of their own homes, some provided food and water, some provided shelter, some provided a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on, some stayed home to care for their children so that their significant others could help and MANY provided the thing we needed the most - PRAYER!  There are so many Facebook statuses and tweets today about "Remembering".  I've even seen a couple comments about not wanting to keep replaying the horror over and over again - about just moving forward.  I choose today to remember and honor the lives lost in that tragedy.  Most of all, I'm choosing to remember the courage, perseverance, faith and triumph that I've seen as a result of this tragedy.  I've watched people find a strength within them that they didn't know was possible.  I watched people choose generosity in a world of greed.  I watched people put others before themselves.  I saw the Church get out into the community and minister to a world of hurting people.  I will never forget watching the big black cloud race across the sky and the way my heart felt when I realized what that big black cloud had done, but I will also remember the love that I saw in people's hearts as they searched their homes for things they could donate and gave countless hours of their time to help those they knew were hurting.  Instead of remembering the tragedy - I choose to remember the triumph.

Psalm 46:1-3
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though it's waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."

No comments: